The WHCA still plans awards, scholarships and remarks from Trump, but Politico reports the rescaled event is being managed less like a spectacle than a controlled gathering.
The White House Correspondents’ Dinner is still meant to honor journalism, recognize scholarships and put the presidency in the same room as the reporters who cover it. This year, the most visible changes may be the tighter gate, the smaller room and the number of invitees choosing not to be there.
According to a Politico Playbook report published Friday, the dinner has gone from an originally expected crowd of roughly 2,600 to about 700 guests, with President Donald Trump expected to attend and speak.
The program still centers journalism
The White House Correspondents’ Association uses the dinner to present scholarships and journalism awards, a purpose that complicates the idea that the night is simply a Washington social event.

Trump is expected to sit through the scholarships and awards before delivering remarks, Politico reported. The program also includes a closing performance by mentalist Oz Pearlman.
Politico noted that some awards will recognize work Trump has criticized, including Wall Street Journal reporting on Jeffrey Epstein. That places journalism the president has objected to inside a room where he is expected to be present and later speak.
WHCA President Weijia Jiang has tried to keep the evening from feeling, in Politico’s phrasing, “like a candlelight vigil.” Even so, the setting described in the report is more controlled than celebratory.
Attendance has become part of the story
Politico reported that invitees are avoiding or declining the dinner and that interest in the event is very low. The reasons described in the report are not all the same.
Some conflicts are ordinary calendar problems: late-July vacations, weddings and family obligations. One White House reporter told Politico they would attend if they were in town, but called the event “exhausting.”
Other reluctance is tied more directly to the political atmosphere. A prominent veteran journalist told Politico that attendees were “pretty unhappy about being there,” citing “tension and unease” among members of the press over Trump’s repeated attacks on the media.
The bluntest assessment came from one White House reporter quoted by Politico Playbook: “Nobody wants this, other than Donald Trump and the WHCA board.”
The room is far smaller than planned
The original dinner had been expected to bring roughly 2,600 guests to the Washington Hilton. Politico reported that the scaled-back version is expected to draw about 700 people at the Waldorf Astoria, formerly the Trump International Hotel.
A member of the WHCA leadership team told Politico the smaller gathering would feel more intimate. That may be true, but the size also changes the optics of the event.
The dinner has long relied on a broad mix of reporters, officials, guests, donors, award winners and people who want to be seen near power. In a room this much smaller, attendance and absence are easier to notice.
Security replaces the red-carpet feel
Politico reported that the dinner will have no red carpet, fewer guests and tighter security. That is a sharp departure from the celebrity-heavy versions of the event that often shaped public attention around the dinner.
Every guest, including Cabinet members, registered to receive an individual QR code. Entry requires both that code and photo identification.
The WHCA is coordinating with the Secret Service and a private security firm on added precautions, according to Politico. Those details point to a more security-forward atmosphere than the pop-culture spectacle many readers may remember.
The White House says officials are not avoiding it
Press secretary Karoline Leavitt told Politico Playbook that Trump’s speech would be “unifying yet vicious, and serious yet hilarious.” After reading a draft, she also said, “It will be entertaining.”
Trump’s presence gives the dinner a built-in point of tension: a president who has repeatedly targeted the media appearing at an event organized by the journalists who cover the White House.
Leavitt also pushed back on the idea that administration officials are steering clear. She said the administration expects most Cabinet members and senior staff to attend, and that anyone absent has a scheduling conflict rather than a lack of enthusiasm.
The longer question is about the dinner itself
The White House Correspondents’ Dinner has long drawn criticism from different directions. Some critics view it as too cozy, putting journalists and powerful officials in a social setting that blurs the distance the press should maintain. Defenders point to its role as a civic ritual that funds scholarships and publicly celebrates reporting.
This year’s smaller, stricter format gives both sides fresh material. It could look like a necessary correction after years of spectacle, or it could suggest that the old formula is harder to sustain in the current relationship between the White House and the press corps.
What remains unclear is whether the low enthusiasm is mostly a one-year reaction to timing, security and Trump-era tension, or a sign of deeper fatigue with the dinner itself.
For now, the WHCA still has awards and scholarships to present, the White House still has a prominent platform, and journalists still have a room in which their presence — or absence — may speak before anyone reaches the podium.
















