The Sussexes’ reported plans would put Archie and Lilibet back in Britain for school and bring the family closer to King Charles III. It is not, however, a return to official royal duties.
Prince Harry and Meghan are returning to the United Kingdom with their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, for an extended stay beginning this fall, according to reporting by The Associated Press. The children are expected to begin at British schools in September, six years after Harry and Meghan stepped back from royal duties and moved to California.
The reported move does not mean Harry and Meghan are rejoining the British royal family as working members. Instead, it could bring the Sussexes physically closer to King Charles III while leaving major questions about security, family relationships and the length of their stay unresolved.
A return without royal roles
The distinction is central. Harry and Meghan reportedly plan to live in a private, non-royal residence outside London, not in a royal household or palace property. They are also expected to keep their home in Montecito, California, as well as their vacation property in Portugal.
That makes this look less like a permanent relocation than an attempt to establish a workable second base for the family. The Sussexes stepped away from official duties more than six years ago, saying they wanted greater independence and a different life for their children.
Neither Buckingham Palace nor a representative for Harry and Meghan offered public confirmation of the reported plan. Buckingham Palace generally does not comment on speculation involving non-working royals, while Harry gave a brief “Nothing to say” when asked about the reports at an event in Washington, according to the AP.
Those responses leave important practical details unsettled, including precisely how long the family expects to stay and whether their time in Britain will be continuous or divided between the UK and the United States.
School puts the children first
The clearest sign that the plan may be more than a short visit is the reported enrollment of Archie, 7, and Lilibet, 5, in British schools. A person close to the Sussexes, who was not authorized to speak publicly, told the AP that the children would start classes in September.
For Harry and Meghan, school offers a straightforward reason to spend an extended period in Britain without reviving the old expectations of royal appearances. It also gives their children a chance to experience more of the country that remains central to their father’s family history.
Archie and Lilibet have spent most of their lives in the United States and have had limited public contact with the wider royal family. Their reported return would put a new generation of the family closer to Charles, even if the Sussexes remain outside the institution’s working structure.
Still, a British school routine could raise its own pressures. The children’s privacy has long been a priority for Harry and Meghan, and any extended UK presence will renew attention around how the family is protected and photographed.
Charles may see more of them
Harry has publicly said he wants reconciliation with his family, particularly because Charles is being treated for an undisclosed form of cancer. The king was reportedly informed of the Sussexes’ plans on Sunday.
Last month, Harry returned to the UK for charity engagements. Meghan and the children joined part of that visit, and the family spent time with Charles at his Highgrove estate in western England, according to the AP.
That meeting carried weight because it was reportedly the first time Archie and Lilibet had seen their grandfather since Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations in 2022. A longer stay could allow those contacts to become less ceremonial and more regular.
For Charles, the prospect of time with his grandchildren may be personally meaningful. For the monarchy, however, a private family thaw would not necessarily translate into a public repair of every relationship affected by the Sussexes’ departure.
William remains the harder question
There has been no comparable public indication of a breakthrough between Harry and his older brother, Prince William. Their relationship has appeared especially strained since Harry and Meghan left Britain, gave televised interviews about their experiences and Harry published his memoir, Spare.
The couple criticized palace handling of Meghan’s mental health and alleged that a member of the royal family made racist comments when Meghan was pregnant with Archie. Those allegations, along with years of recriminations and media coverage, deepened a split that has not been visibly resolved.
Observers can reasonably read the reported move in two ways. One view is that proximity could make reconciliation more possible, particularly between Harry and Charles. Another is that a longer UK stay could intensify awkwardness if boundaries, security and family expectations remain unsettled.
William’s position matters because he is heir to the throne and because any wider family reset would be difficult without some improvement between the brothers. At present, the evidence points to a possible father-son rapprochement, not a full reunion of the royal family.
Security remains a major obstacle
Harry’s long-running dispute over police protection in Britain remains one of the most consequential unknowns. He has argued that he and his family need armed security when visiting the UK because of their royal status, even though they are no longer working royals.
After a government committee declined to provide the protection he sought, Harry challenged the decision in court and lost a legal battle over the issue last year. The dispute has shaped how he talks about bringing Meghan and the children to Britain.
An extended stay could require arrangements that are both secure and private, particularly if the children are attending school. The reporting does not set out what protections, if any, would be in place for the family’s reported residence or daily movements.
That gap matters because the security question is not merely logistical. It has been one of the reasons Harry has cited for keeping his family’s visits to the UK limited, making any decision to spend months there a notable shift.
A transatlantic life takes shape
The reported plan also suggests that Harry and Meghan are trying to build a life spanning two countries rather than choosing one over the other. Meghan is expected to continue leading her As Ever business from the UK, while Harry could spend more time with the charities he supports there, according to a source close to the couple.
That arrangement fits the couple’s post-royal model: independent work, separate commercial projects and selective charitable engagement. It also keeps a firm line between being near the royal family and being employed by the monarchy.
The real measure of this return will be what follows after September. If it produces steady family contact and a sustainable school routine, it may mark a quiet recalibration of the Sussexes’ relationship with Britain. If disputes over security and family access resurface, the stay could underscore how much distance remains despite their return.
For now, the reported decision is best understood as an extended family move with royal consequences—not a restoration of Harry and Meghan’s former place inside the institution.

Leave a Reply